Sunday, March 29, 2009

Great Expectations

Jadon gave a talk in church today on families. We wrote it yesterday and he practiced it most of yesterday and this morning. He really enjoys getting up in front of the Primary and giving his talks. He is much easier to understand when he reads and has the visual prompting for words and he has such a sweet spirit. The room always gets very quiet and I think the kids actually listen or try to when he talks. Of course, he gets a lot of compliments and I think people are actually surprised that he can read. I guess when you don't say much and when what you do say is hard to understand, people think you aren't capable of much. Oh, how wrong they are. I have always felt that Jadon is very smart, but not in the conventional way. He has the ability to learn quickly and remembers what he learns. He depends on his memory, which is very good, for a lot. He never ceases to amaze me.They are working on typing at school. Last week at his parent/teacher conference, his OT remarked (almost apologetically) that he was typing 3 words a minute. I was elated. His hunt and peck method is slow but functional. We decided to give him more practice at home with the program they use at school and also to have him type what he does over the weekend so he can share it on Monday morning with his class. Today he typed his weekend doings. We wrote it out first in print and then he transferred it to type. It was three lines (typewritten) and it took him about 10 minutes, but I was amazed that he knew how to type a capital letter. He was so excited each time he typed a word. His excitement in in own accomplishments is catching. I really think the rest of us miss out on a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I loved hearing his primary talks! Too bad I missed this one! So, will Jadon type his next blog entry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch him type!

    I love listening to him read. He doesn't seem to stutter or have his normal speech difficulties when he reads and he has lots of fun reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's an idea. However I think you would find it was a long list of family members.

    ReplyDelete