Saturday, April 25, 2009
Small Steps
Any parent of a child with developmental delays learns early on to be grateful for small steps. It took years for Jadon to be able to say mom or dad and still longer before he said, "I love you", both of which gave way to celebration. For years I have waited for Jadon to be able to tell me about how he feels or what happened to him at school or a party. Usually I had to be content with looking at his shirt and seeing blue paint and knowing that they must have painted in school that day or with brief explanations of "bus, recess, lunch" as to what he did in school. Yesterday, however, I experienced another exciting first . Jadon got off the bus from school and jumped into the van. He had a dark ring around his mouth and I said, "looks like you had an Oreo today." To which he answered, "Yes, Michael birthday at lunch." Not a complete sentence but more than enough for me to know that a classmate, Michael's, birthday was yesterday and they had Oreos as a treat at lunch. Another celebration for yet another small step. I am grateful for small steps!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay!!! Good for Jadon!
ReplyDeleteI was there when he repeated it for Mom and it was amazing. I haven't heard him say that many words strung together by him without him repeating someone. It was very cool.
ReplyDelete