"I am thirsty and I want some milk please." A few days ago Jadon walked down the hall way to where his dad and I were talking and announced his need for a drink with this long string of words. It is by far the longest number of words I have ever heard him speak. Not only did the length of the phrase astound me, but the words were very clear and percise. I know that my jaw must have dropped to the floor and after hid dad and I recovered, praised and laughed and praised some more, Jadon got his milk!
Speech is not easy for Jadon and we are usually lucky to get one or two words to convey his needs or thoughts. These one or two words are carefully chosen, I'm sure, by Jadon and between the words and the inflection he is pretty good at getting us to understand what he is trying to tell us. I've gotten so used to knowing what his abbreviated speech means that sometimes I forget to remind him to "use your words" to try to pull out a few extra words. Most of the time he answers me with a frustrated "No, sorry", which is his way of telling me he doesn't want to. However, now that we know that he is not only capable of a longer length of utterances (a SLP term basically meaning use more words) and can come up with them on his own there is a renewed hope that maybe in time we will begin to be able to have some real conversations and a little higher expectation on his length of utterances.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's amazing. A few days ago it really shocked us when Adalyn broke out with an amazingly clear, "Daddy, what are you looking for?" Adalyn also has abbreviated speech that she uses, so the fact that we got an half those words was amazing. Good to hear the speech fairy is making the rounds.
ReplyDelete